A Duty to Citizenship

Adziko N. Tsatenawa, Reporter

Michael Rey Hinojosa (12) is an active member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the National Honor Society. Most of his weekday afternoons in the fall are devoured by long hours of football practice. In winter seasons, he’s running plays on the basketball court every afternoon, as well as two nights a week. Though he may seem too busy for anything else, Hinojosa never fails to find time for his family, his friends, and his community.

Hinojosa is a part of a youth group that meets every Wednesday and Sunday at his church. “We do a lot of community service,” he said. “We help out at the food pantry at our church.” Aside from community service and youth gatherings, the group also takes mission trips.

Hinojosa also devotes time to his little brother Sam Hinojosa (9), who plays football and basketball on the freshman teams, by attending his games for support.

When academic duty calls and it’s time to hit the books, Hinojosa makes sure to keep on top of things.

“Grades are very important to me,” Hinojosa said. “My parents always push me to have good grades.”

Hinojosa doesn’t get home until 8 p.m. almost every day because of football practice.This fact consequently makes study hours pretty late for him, and they can sometimes last past twelve o’clock midnight.

“During basketball season it’s a lot of the same thing,” said Hinojosa. With two games a week in the basketball season, the only free time Hinojosa can find is on the weekends.

“Sports and school is pretty much me,” he said. Though this seems so, figuring out who Hinojosa really is takes getting to know him.

“Once you get to know me, you’ll get to know that I’m the weirdest kid around,” Hinojosa said. “My friends are the most important thing to me and I’ll do anything for them, for all of them.”

With a hectic life it’s easy to become consumed in responsibilities, causing someone to become easily preoccupied with themselves. But evidently for Hinojosa, big amounts of responsibility are no match for the responsibilities of citizenship and family.