New Years Resolution: Lose Weight

Celeste Guajardo, Reporter

The first step is sticking to your plan! If you can commit to eating right and doing some daily exercise then you’re on the right track.

Smaller portions means cutting down on the regular meals you eat every day. Things to focus on are vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains, and proteins. Foods such as broccoli, celery, asparagus, spinach, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts, green beans, and many others are healthy to eat. When it comes to natural food, if it’s green it’s good! The array of nuts consists of almonds, pecans, cashews, pistachios, walnuts, and even peanuts. Protein with a minimum amount of fat can be consumed from fish, turkey, eggs, tofu, and chicken.

As long as your diet is balanced with a good amount of healthy food, you will be shedding off pounds in no time.

If you are one of those people who likes to eat out a lot, the solution is easy. Instead of going for a hamburger, try the grilled chicken sandwich instead. If you’re scared to try something new then a salad can always suffice. Healthy options are all around you, you just have to look and make the right choice. Remember to avoid greasy and oily food; small changes make a big difference!

Claudia Flores (11) thinks of healthy eating as drinking lots of water, eating the “green” vegetables, fruits, and using virgin olive oil instead of the regular kind. Whenever she tries to lose weight she goes on 3-day diets that help her plan out what specific foods to eat. “Cut down of foods” it what she first thinks of when losing weight comes into the picture. Regarding exercise, half an hour a day is what she heard a person should do on average.

“Personally, yoga is what I do most often”, said Flores.

Exercise is a part of the losing weight process. This is the way to tone up and burn calories through physical activity. To make it more enjoyable, try doing your hobbies that require you to be on your feet and active. Even walking is exercise, it keeps you in motion and though it may not burn calories as fast as running, every little bit counts.

For the more challenging exercises, you can stretch, lift weights, run, do ab crunches, and if you want to work your thighs there is always the classic wall sit. That is where you put your back against the wall and sit as if there were a chair there, and after a few seconds you will feel the burn.

More exercise ideas are all around us, as long as we’re active then we can make a positive impact.