New Kids On The Block

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Kids On The Block

Avery Stites, Staff

Tying her court shoes and sliding up her knee pads, sophomore Mia Perez gets ready for volleyball practice. Perez is one of the 5 sophomores who are new to the varsity team.

“I felt so thrilled that I was going to be apart of such a great team with extremely hard working girls,” Perez said, “I was so excited for the season to begin!”

Although Perez admits she was nervous having such big shoes to fill after the previous season’s seniors had left, she said the veterans on the team made sure she felt welcomed.

“The upperclassmen were wonderful and welcomed all of us with open arms,” Perez said. “They guided us and taught us what it meant to be a positive teammate and brought our team close together.”

Perez plays as setter/right side, and has been playing alongside her fellow sophomore teammates since they were in elementary school.

“The reason we all felt confident going into tryouts is because we all started playing together at an early age,” Perez said. “We know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and we know how to lift each other up. It just goes to show how important chemistry is when it comes to sports and teams. Our chemistry is what landed us on varsity together.”

It only being her first year on varsity, Perez said she already feels like she’s been playing with all of these girls (juniors and seniors) forever.

“Our team bonded so well right off the bat,” Perez said, “we’re like one big family. The seniors haven’t even left and I already miss them. But I know I just have to make the most of the season we have left together.”