A Farewell

Alexander Almaguer, Editor-in-Chief

My seniors. My juniors. My sophomores. My journalistic, multiethnic children. Today, I bid you all farewell, and leave you with these nice words to marinate in. Take them to heart, because that is from where they are spoken. I will most likely see some of you again, but nothing is for certain, and so farewells are necessary. Without further ado:

Josh-You magnificent, testosterone-laden machine of ambition and power. Your presence in Room 39 makes the place all that more manly, especially considering it’s filled to the brim with estrogen all day. I’ve always admired your dedication to personal health and fitness, whether it manifested in the form of waking up to exercise before the light of dawn, or abstaining from the uber-processed foods that littered publications parties. You’re a talented writer-of that there is no doubt-and your news stories are some of the most informative and well-structured I’ve seen. You’re going to do great things for the paper and for yourself as a student.

David-Oh, David. I’m going to miss you. I’m going to miss our introspective conversations as well. Your desire to tickle philosophical topics and discuss life’s meanings is a great attribute; never lose that. Never stop asking questions of people or things, and never settle for an unsatisfying answer. Continue working at writing—you’re another one of newspapers fine assets, and you’re going to make a great editor.

Christian-You’re a smart man, Christian; I can tell by your writing. You need to speak up! Sometimes I forget that you’re in the room because you’re so quiet.  I don’t blame you for it though; I’m quiet myself, but Room 39 tends to bring out the loudest in people. You’re going to be an editor and this horse will soon be yours to ride. The only voices that are heard on the battlefield are loud ones.

Aaron-Aaron, Aaron. There are many stories I didn’t get to read from you (I assume they were lost somewhere in the throes of battle), but I from what I did read, I know you do have the potential to be a great staffer. Find interviewees who aren’t squirrely. I may be retiring now, but I’m looking forward to what things you’ll produce.

Addie-Hail, chief. With honor I pass on the torch to you, this flaming and bloodied scepter of editorial power that is command of the Round-Up, and wish you the greatest of luck in piloting our majestic, equestrian, journalistic beast. There will be hard times, times when leading is not is easy it seems, when whatever grand visions you may have for the paper seem on the brink of collapse, but don’t ever give up. It will always be a struggle, but your ability to plough through it all determines your strength as leader. You’re smart and introspective and you ask life’s important questions. Feel free to contact me at any time if you ever need help or advice. As I take my leave, wrap up my belongings and cross the golden hills into higher education, my eye will be on the stables at the Round-Up, watching for the day when mustangs burst forth in glorious splendor and—led by you—gallop into the flaming sunset of journalistic success. I know the paper is in good hands.

Meeta-Meeta, you are small and ornery and your presence in Newspaper this year has made Room 39 a more ethnically diverse and unforgettable place. Butting heads with you on topics of opinion was always fun, and while our debates became heated at times, they were never mean-spirited. I wish you the best of luck at UTPA, and I hope your studies and experience bring you much happiness in life. Oh, and thank you for all of the vegetable chips and chocolate -nature-valley-granola-things.

Preston-I have known you for quite a long time. How interesting that we should end up in Newspaper together our last year of high school. Your contributions to the paper were valuable (especially the overpopulation story; that was a delicious piece that was lovingly slathered on the front page for some time). I’ll miss you, my good man. You’re smart and white and I know for a fact, with the determination you have, you will make quite the excellent UT engineering student.

Sergio-You’re Cornell bound! It’s exciting and out of state and we’re both going to be miserably cold. Having you in Room 39 made this year that much more memorable and worthwhile, as did your contributions to the paper; in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you contributed to a publication at college. You’re quite the science whiz and I know you’re going to be fantastic student at Cornell. You’re also one of the most sincere people I’ve ever met; don’t let that change.

Tess-Two chiefs in one room! Never has such amazing power been put in one place. Even though this is Newspaper, I’d like to commend you for working hard in putting out such a great book this year. I’m no expert on picas and white space, but from what little I do know about yearbooks and from comparison to past years, I can tell that this year’s book is a standout from the rest. Your dedication and talent in journalism is something that’s apparent not only from yearbook, but from newspaper and UIL, and I know it will serve you well in your studies at UT. Hopefully you will end up in a successful career in communications/journalism so you can buy plenty of cats. I also think we might have been Room 39’s biggest hobos this year.

Daniela-DT, my co-editor and 2nd staffer who’s bound for New York. This year has been a smorgasbord of various changes and emotions. At times we were nice, at times mean, but know that no mean comments ever came from anything other than underlying friendship. I advise you to take your fashion-forward sense and go out to buy a nice coat; it’s a bit frosty in the northern parts. As for your hope of one day writing for a magazine or prestigious publication, I say not to give it up. You have the skill and ability and you should be sure of yourself—I think you can make it, and I hope to see your name alongside an article one day. Embrace all of life’s changes (New York is a big change), and I hope your time at Marymount leads you to success.

I have said all that needs to be said. I’m going to miss all of you, and this has been a wonderful, hilarious, and memorable year in Room 39. Whether you’re graduating, continuing on with the paper, or dropping out of highschool to become a political revolutionary or burger flipper, I wish you the best of luck in everything you do. Never take any day in life for granted. And now! Away we go into the broad, vast, and unknown horizon, moving closer to the places our respective paths will carry us.

Godspeed to you all.