Texas A&M vs Clemson

Back to Article
Back to Article

Texas A&M vs Clemson

Avery Stites, Staff

This past weekend, ESPN’s College GameDay traveled to College Station to cover the Texas A&M vs. Clemson game. The unranked Aggies were facing off the number two Tigers in the largest stadium in Texas and the SEC.

I traveled up to College Station with my family that Friday in order to make it to Midnight Yell. At Midnight Yell, the Aggies practice their yells for the game the next night. I sat in the front row of the stadium right at the 50-yard line and practiced the yells and sang the war hymn. This midnight yell was so important to the Aggies, even coach Jimbo Fisher was there to give a speech to the fans about the big game and how the Aggies needed the 12th man to be louder than ever.

The next day was the big game. Kickoff was at six, and the Corps of Cadets started marching at four. We were tailgating from two to four and then I watched my boyfriend, Jacob, start marching from the quad. After they were marching, we met up with my boyfriend and we entered the stadium to sit with the corp. Since we were sitting with the corp, we had amazing seats right in front of the end zone. The game started and personally, I didn’t think we had a chance against the number two team in the nation since we were unranked.

The first quarter started and surprisingly, we were able to hold our ground. The defense was playing strong and quarterback Kellen Mond was throwing the ball. By halftime, we were down 14-3, and our defense was doing a great job holding off their offense. The third quarter started and it was like a light had switched for A&M. We scored ten points in the third quarter while Clemson scored 14, and we responded in the fourth quarter by scoring 13 points and holding off Clemson so they weren’t able to score any. In the fourth quarter, we were close to scoring the winning touchdown when the refs made a terrible call and called for a touchback for Clemson. Because of that call, the Aggies lost the game by two points. Although we lost, the Aggies played with their hearts and proved to the nation they were able to compete with the number two team in the nation. It was easily the best football game I had ever been to.

Avery Stites, Member

Hi sisters, I'm Avery Stites and I'm a senior. It's my second year on the staff and I'm eager to make this year my best year. I've also been a member of...