Star Wars: Ahsoka – Novel Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Star Wars: Ahsoka – Novel Review

Artist: Wojtek Fus / 
Owner: Lucasfilm Ltd.

Artist: Wojtek Fus / Owner: Lucasfilm Ltd.

It was a while that Anakin Skywalker’s Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, was absent from the Star Wars franchise after her departure from the Jedi Order during the Clone Wars animated TV series back in 2013, and it would not be until 2015 that she would return in the new Star Wars animated series, Star Wars: Rebels. Her return to franchise garnered acclaim from fans, making her one of the most liked characters in the vast galaxy that is Star Wars. Though her return was appreciated, now came the question of what our beloved heroine was up to before she made her appearance in Star Wars: Rebels. That is what E. K. Johnston’s 2016 novel, Star Wars: Ahsoka, aims to provide context for. Star Wars: Ahsoka, throughout the course of its plot, not only provides a good amount of context of whereabouts of Ahsoka during her absence, but also offers an engaging storyline that shows the main protagonist grow as a person that fans of this character will greatly appreciate.

Image: Fantasy Flight & Lucasfilm Ltd.

The novel takes place shortly after the events of Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith, which left the Jedi nearly all wiped out by the Emperor Palpatine and having the Galactic Republic being replaced by the Galatic Empire. At this time it is a crime to be a Jedi, so any who did survive the purge went into hiding as the Emperor would kill any that were still remaining. A year after the establishment of the Galactic Empire is where the reader finds the main protagonist, Ahsoka Tano, that due to her engineering skill is hiding on a planet called Thabeska under the guise of a mechanic. Where she still feels the guilt of leaving the Jedi order back during the Clone Wars. The feeling of leaving behind her friends Anakin and Obi-Wan leaves her partially blaming herself for the fall of the entire Jedi order, as she can longer feel the presence of her friends or the entire Jedi order through the Force. Creating for her an uncertainty of whether any of her old companions are still alive.

Image: Fantasy Flight & Lucasfilm Ltd.

Due to certain events that unfold in the start of the novel, Ahsoka, most leave to another planet where must seek hiding from the Empire. The new planet she finds shelter on is a farming planet by the name of Raada. A modest looking town run by the farmers of the area take in Ahsoka, unaware of her past as a Jedi, as she takes on the alias of “Ashla.” From here Ahsoka meets characters both new and old while at the same time meeting new foes that challenge her skills that she learned back as the Padawan of Anakin Skywalker, that make her find her true place in the Star Wars universe that has been torn apart by Palpatine.

Image: Fantasy Flight & Lucasfilm Ltd.

E. K. Johnston’s writing style, while not as descriptive as Timothy Zahn in the novel Star Wars: Thrawn, she writes more to the point and leaves most of in-depth descriptions to the reader’s imagination. While not necessarily a bad thing, as her main goal of providing a solid story line is kept throughout, it would have been nice to have more description of the worlds that novel takes the reader to. Though, the author does truly put the reader in the mind of Ahsoka Tano in a way that feels familiar to Clone Wars fans, and stays true to her character, and without too much into spoilers, also in the mindset of other characters that are brought into the novel. Never once did the writing quality falter, showing how Johnston understands and respects the source material.

Image: Lucasfilm Ltd.

Star Wars: Ahsoka proves itself a worthy addition to the new Star Wars canon by providing a self-contained story that adds much appreciated context to the character it centers, while at the same time understanding and respecting the source material. Ahsoka is a great character in the space opera universe, and this only makes her a more deeper and interesting character as the reader sees her tackler her own issues without the help of her past friends. For anyone that watched the Clone Wars animated series and liked the Ahsoka character, this is an easy recommendation and a must read. Though, for those who are unfamiliar with the character and her past, but still want to get into the new Star Wars novels, it best to start off with Timothy Zahn’s novel Star Wars: Thrawn, as it introduces new characters and require readers to have a basic Star Wars background of the films Episode III and IV. Nonetheless, Star Wars: Ahsoka is an amazing story if you are a fan of the character, and are just eager to see what other adventures she tackles in the galaxy.

Mustang Pride Verdict: 8 out of 10

Jose Noriega, Staff

Hey there! My name is Jose Noriega, and this will be my first year in Newspaper, and I’m pretty excited to bring some good articles here on Round-Up....