Top 5 Upcoming Movies of Fall 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top 5 Upcoming Movies of Fall 2017

Image Source: Lucasfilm Ltd.

Image Source: Lucasfilm Ltd.

Image Source: Lucasfilm Ltd.

Image Source: Lucasfilm Ltd.

Jose Noriega, Staff

There have been great films that have already come out in the year of 2017, but the year is far from over in the film industry. They are plenty of heavy hitters left to be enjoyed by the masses, so here is a compiled list of 5 movies to keep an eye out for during Fall 2017:

Image Source: Marvel Studios

5. Thor: Ragnarok – November 3, 2017

These past several months have been witness to two major Marvel films already with Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in May and Spider-Man Homecoming just this past July. Each of which being must-watch movies for Marvel fans, and Thor: Ragnarok looks no different. This movie aims to bring a bombastic action, along with an interesting plot to give audiences an enjoyable viewing experience. Plus, come on, who does not want to see some Thor and Hulk action?

Image Source: 20th Century Fox

4. Murder on the Orient Express – November 10, 2017

Based on the 1934 detective novel by Agatha Christie of the same name, Murder on the Orient Express, tells a detective tale of an investigation of a murder that occurred aboard the Orient Express train. This type of plot demands a lot of actor power, and this 2017 film adaptation of the novel has quite the stellar cast to provide it, with the likes of Judi Dench, William Dafoe, Daisy Ridley, Johnny Depp, and others on set. Director Kenneth Branagh aims to bring this detective tale to modern audiences, and we simply cannot wait to watch this mystery unfold.

Image Source: Warner Bros.

3. Justice League – November 17, 2017

The DC Cinematic Universe has had quite the bumpy ride these past couple years, with only Wonder Woman being seemed as the standout film, there is a good reason for audiences to skeptical of this upcoming DC superhero mash-up film. Can Zack Synder redeem himself from his past mixed reception DC film that was Batman v. Superman? Only time can tell if this upcoming superhero film is worthy of being called one of the best superhero film adaptations or simply a rushed project in a desperate attempt to catch up with Marvel. Either way, Justice League looks to be an enjoyable film that will bring some good superhero action.

Image Source: Fox Searchlight Pictures

2. The Shape of Water – December 8, 2017

Well-known film director, Guillermo del Toro, aims to bring a different type of film experience to audiences this Fall. The Shape of Water, which is set to make its debut in the U.S. early this December, is a romantic dark fantasy tale that follows a mute main protagonist who works in a government laboratory that falls in love with a creature held within called “The Asset.” In the midst of an oversaturation of high-budget Hollywood blockbuster, The Shape of Water will be the much-needed breath of fresh air for the film industry.

Image Source: Lucasfilm Ltd.

1.  Star Wars: The Last Jedi – December 15, 2017

The 8th film in the mainline Star Wars film series is set to premiere this December. It has been two years since we saw Rey’s and Finn’s debut into the Star Wars universe back with the Force Awakens and now with Star Wars: The Last Jedi, we will see Mark Hamill return to the role of Luke Skywalker and see how time has changed this character and what it means for the future of the Star Wars Universe. This film will also feature the last acting performance of Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, whose passing was felt throughout the Star Wars community, so it is unsure how her character’s storyline will be wrapped up. Either way, this is my personal favorite on this list, and I cannot wait to see more Star Wars action.

Honorable Mention:

Image Source: GKIDS

The Breadwinner – November 17, 2017

Based on the novel of the same name by Deborah Ellis, The Breadwinner, is an animated film adaptation that tells a story set in the Middle-East, which follows a protagonist whose father was unjustly arrested and she must dress as a boy to work in order to support her family. This film is probably the most story driven of all the movies featured in the list above, and most likely be a memorable experience that will stay with viewers for years to come.