IT- Movie Review

Source: Courtesy of Warner Bros

Jose Noriega, Staff

Over the past years, there have been many film adaptations of various Stephen King novels, and just recently a film was done on one of his most famous novels, IT. From someone who has not read the original source material, I found this film an enjoyable watch that not only provided suspense but also was able to tell an interesting story that kept the viewer on the edge of their seat throughout the entirety of the film.

The story takes place in the small town of Derry, where a group of middle school students must overcome their greatest fears that have been materialized into a demonic entity that takes the shape of a clown named “Pennywise”, which primarily targets children to feed on. While that is the basic premise of the film, it does not solely rely on the scare factor of the demonic clown alone. The main cast of characters all have their own set of personal problems that they must deal with, making the motley crew of characters much more relatable and fleshed out.

Being that this film is based on a novel that is over 1000 pages, and even though it is being split into two films, it is still a monumental task to be adapted for the big screen, and this factor shows in the film. The story has a large main cast of seven characters, resulting in that not all of them are given the equal amount of attention to flesh out their personalities. There are also a couple scenes that may not seem that fit in well with the pacing, even though they are rather quick. Overall these are minor complaints in a film that gets a lot right.

IT is a great film and an enjoyable watch. From the constant suspense of expecting when the next scare might arrive, to the mystery of what “It” really is, to understand the cast of characters, makes IT a theater experience worth the price of admission and a definite buy when released on Blu-Ray.

Final Mustang Verdict: 8.7/10